Pass a Present to Young People in Care this Christmas
ULSTER Rugby's Christmas Present Appeal will now take place on Saturday December 10 2016 at the ASM Clermont Auvergne V Ulster match at the Kingspan Stadium. The collection, originally due to take place at last Friday's Ulster V Zebre match was postponed due to weather conditions.
The Christmas Present Appeal is a joint initiative between Ulster Rugby and their charity partner Include Youth, which supports 500 young people from disadvantaged communities throughout Northern Ireland move into training or employment each year. Ulster Rugby fans are encouraged to pass a present to young people in care this winter so that those who live away from their families still have gifts under the tree this Christmas.
In particular Include Youth wants to make sure the young people they work with, who often live in children's homes or residential care, receive a special gift this Christmas.
Paddy Mooney, Director at Include Youth, said:
"Every year staff put on a Christmas party for all the young people involved in our projects, which involves a Christmas dinner followed by lots of fun and games. Each young person then receives a selection box before our offices close for the week.
"This year we are asking rugby fans to buy an extra couple of gifts for teenagers or young adults and bring them along to match on December 10th in order to help us make sure each young person has something to open on Christmas morning."
Christmas can be a lonely time for young people who live independently or in care, which is why Include Youth staff organise meet ups and social activities during the holidays to make sure no young person feels forgotten or completely on their own.
Ulster Rugby President, John McKibbin, added:
"It's easy to forget about those in our communities who don't have families around them, when so many of us get more than we need or want while surrounded by loving family and friends. All gifts donated, big or small, will be greatly received by the young people and go a long way in making sure they know they are cared about this Christmas."
Donations of Christmas presents can be made at reception at the main administration building opposite the Memorial Stand.
Media Enquiries: For more information contact Sharon Whittaker, Communications Coordinator at Include Youth, on 028 9031 1007 / email@example.com OR Sara-Louise Bowman, Marketing & PR Executive at Ulster Rugby, on 028 9049 4844 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notes to editors:
- Guinness Pro12 - Ulster Rugby v ASM Clermont Auvergne at Kingspan Stadium on Saturday December 10, 3:00pm
- Christmas Present Appeal suggestion list:
- Gift vouchers – For example, New Look, Primark, JD Sports, Sports Direct, Amazon, Boots, major food outlets
- Clothes – For example, socks, gloves, beanie hats, baseball hats, dressing gowns, pyjamas (age 16+), slippers
- Health & beauty – For example, make-up sets, body spray sets, perfume or aftershave sets, bath bombs, pamper sets
- Electrical – For example, headphones, DVDs, smartphone covers
- Books – For example, Twilight series, Harry Potter, Girl on the Train, celebrity autobiographies
- Food – For example, selection box, sweets or food hampers